Tuesday, February 7, 2012

the nose knows

When I first moved into my apartment, there was a distinct, musty scent that dominated the entire place. It wasn't a horrible smell, but it certainly wasn't inviting either. Lighting candles (my preferred method of adding a nice, light scent to the home) couldn't seem to cut the odor, however. That's when I knew I had to take this a step further. I have never been a big fan of plug-ins or other products meant to keep your home smelling sweet-- they always seem a little overbearing to me, and can have a fairly pricy upkeep. I needed a quick, cheap, more natural fix. That is when I found (drumroll please)... essential oils! Although I have heard of these little olfactory pleasers before I had never considered making good use of them in the home. However, I have found that they provide a welcome alternative to store bought air fresheners, and come in a variety of smells-- eucalyptus (one of my favorites), cedar, lemon, etc. Simply dip a cotton ball into the oil and place in a cabinet, under a couch, or wherever your heart and nose desire. I like to place one in my closet and another in a kitchen cupboard for a soft whiff of freshness.



eucalyptus essential oil
 


cotton balls

Essential oils can be found at swansonvitamins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment